History began in 1968. The meeting between the Navy team, led by drg. Liem Tjing Kiat with drg Halima DG Sikati facing Unhas Rector, Lt. Col. M. Nasir Said, SH to discuss the possibility of opening Dentist Education at Hasanuddin University. The signing of a cooperation agreement between Hasanuddin University and the Navy, on January 23, 1969
Based on the Decree of the Rector of Hasanuddin University dated January 1, 1969, the Dentistry Institute of YosSudarso became the Department of Dentistry of the Faculty of Medicine, Hasanuddin University, and based on the Decree of the Minister of Education and Culture No. 0226/1970 dated 27 July 1970.
On June 8, 1974, the second cooperation agreement between Hasanuddin University and the Navy was signed. Department of Dentistry Faculty of Medicine, University of Hasanuddin later changed to the Department of Dentistry Faculty of Medicine, University of Hasanuddin.
Based on Decree of Rector Unhas No. 91/0/02/83 dated February 22, 1983, and the Decree of the Minister of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia no. 0563/0/1983 dated December 8, 1983, FKG UNHAS stands as a separate faculty within the UNHAS. Faculty of Dentistry Hasanuddin University led by a number of Deans, namely
(1) Halimah Dg. Sikati, drg (1983 -1991)
(2) Prof. H.M. HattaHasan S, drg., Ph.D., Sp.BM (1991 -1999),
(3) M. Amin Kansi, drg., MS., Ph.D (1999 – 2007),
(4) Moh. Dharmautama, drg., Ph.D., Sp.Pros, (2007 – 2011),
(5) Prof. Drg. MansjurNasir, Ph.D (2011 – 2015),
(6) Dr. Drg. BahruddinThalib, M.Kes., Sp.Pros (K) (2015 – present)